Thursday, September 21, 2006

Happy Birthday Leonard Cohen


leonard cohen sings the truth. it's sad, it's dark, it's funny, it's shocking and it's lovely.

he started as a folk singer, in the vein of bob dylan and joan baez, but instead of focusing on social aspects, he just decided to write about basically love and hate, which is why i guess he clicked in my heart more than other folk singers. throughout the 60s and 70s his folk music changed into its own, incorporating different styles and instruments, and in the 80s he released a wonderful album called i'm your man, which had enough modern production to make it sound in times with the era, but still retained his musical charisma. in the 90s he was discovered by a new generation of young listeners that heard two of his new songs in the film natural born killers. these songs were very angry and almost apocalyptic, showing that his crude vision of the world hadn't disappeared and was sharper than ever. his albums 10 new songs and dear heather just show that in the twenty first millenium, leonard cohen is still vital in our hearts and minds.

personally, my favorite cohen song is "famous blue raincoat". a folk ballad from his 1971 album songs of love and hate. i had heard the song lots of times but it was just one more song in his repertoire. when my life took a turn, i found myself being included in its lyrics, and then the song became a part of me. i knew then that he was singing the song to me, and everytime i listen to it... it still raises the hairs on my arms.



FAMOUS BLUE RAINCOAT (Leonard Cohen)

It's four in the morning, the end of December
I'm writing you now just to see if you're better
New York is cold, but I like where I'm living
There's music on Clinton Street all through the evening.

I hear that you're building your little house deep in the desert
You' re living for nothing now, I hope you're keeping some kind of record.

Yes, and Jane came by with a lock of your hair
She said that you gave it to her
That night that you planned to go clear
Did you ever go clear?

Ah, the last time we saw you, you looked so much older
Your famous blue raincoat was torn at the shoulder
You'd been to the station to meet every train
And you came home without Lili Marlene

And you treated my woman to a flake of your life
And when she came back she was nobody's wife.

Well I see you there with the rose in your teeth
One more thin gypsy thief
Well I see Jane's awake

-- She sends her regards.

And what can I tell you my brother, my killer
What can I possibly say?
I guess that I miss you, I guess I forgive you
I'm glad you stood in my way.

If you ever come by here, for Jane or for me
Your enemy is sleeping, and his woman is free.

Yes, and thanks, for the trouble you took from her eyes
I thought it was there for good so I never tried.

And Jane came by with a lock of your hair
She said that you gave it to her
That night that you planned to go clear

-- sincerely, l. cohen

6 comments:

Nilz said...

OH, and today is also BILL MURRAY's b-day :o

just wonderful :)

Anonymous said...

When I was starting high school in the late 1960's, all the teenage wannabe folksingers in my school had to play Cohen's Suzanne.

I liked, Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye.

Other singers cover Cohen's songs but I like the melancholy in his voice.

I laughed when his song, Hallelujah, was on the Shrek movie soundtrack.

Nilz said...

minnie - yes, suzanne is THE cohen song by default. and i agree with you, i have certain covers of his songs, but his voice is just the best.

hallelujah was voted the best song by a canadian artist in that country. it's that powerful and yes, it's funny to watch it in shrek :P

have a nice day, minnie

Edilma said...

I like The Sopranos theme song ;)....he sings it, right?

(K)

Uta Refson said...

No surprises here Nilz.
That IS a great song!
Everyone should pick up a Cohen album at least once in there lives and listen to it.
I would suggest vinyl for the best Cohen flavor!

Cheers my friend!

Nilz said...

no edilma, the soprano's theme song is performed by a group called ALABAMA 3.

the opening and closing songs in NATURAL BORN KILLERS are sung by leonard cohen. does this help? :o